Thursday, September 30, 2010

David Arkenstone: In the Wake of the Wind

Hurtling Between the Earth and the Moon Edition

When I lived with Mark Jaeschke right out of High School, there was a D&D culture that sometimes spilled over into my life, even though I largely stayed away from the Role Playing Games that were played in the garage on a fairly regular basis. The Grammy nominated In the Wake of the Wind was one of the carry-overs, recommended by one of the roommates; I forget who. A soundtrack to a fantasy idea of Arkenstone's, the album plays like a videogame score, and in fact Arkenstone has gone on to make music for videogames, notably World of Warcraft, aka "America and Korea's Number One Addiction".

It's a fine album, though mostly lifeless. There is no movement; no drive to the all-instrumental songs, but it's a good album to have on as background during a rousing game of tabletop role-playing, I'd wager. Maybe in the nursery to put baby to sleep with dreams of adventure and keyboards. Speaking of which, David Arkenstone (Say it out load: ARKENSTONE! Magical!) has three kids. Their names are - Quillon, Dashiell and Valinor. I'd have gone for Thundarr, Ookla and Ariel myself, but that's just me...

No comments:

Post a Comment