Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tori Amos: To Venus and Back

Dionaea Muscipula Edition

We've got TWO discs worth of Tori here, folks. Because more is better...?

Disc one is made up of original songs, and the direction here is sorta ambient-techno. It's alright. Honestly, I think the strange shift in this "side" of the album lead to the inclusion of disc two, which is a live set of material from her first four albums, catering to the fans.

I enjoy disc two much more as well. The band is great, and the energy of the songs is readily apparent. And...she speaks! Tori cutely introduces a song as a "friend", one who never made it on any of the albums despite her best intentions. In fact, her song told her to "F*** Off" at some point. Fascinating. "Jesus" is a lyric in this song, too. Which interests me, as he is often referred to metaphorically, but I have to wonder if she thinks saying his name enough will get him to answer in the way she deems fit? I wonder if he hasn't answered her already? Does she know it?

This is more amusing...

1 comment:

  1. Your insight into songs amazes me. I'm not caught up yet .. at least not with this particular artist. On the edge of my seat ...

    ReplyDelete