Thursday, September 16, 2010

aMiniature: DepthFiveRateSix

Drummers Gotta Stick Together Edition

Shandree went on the dreaded and celebrated East Coast Trip a couple years ago. Mr. Dyke was the guy in charge, a teacher who happens to live close by, in Santee. He also plays drums, but it was very recently that I learned he used to drum for aMiniature. "Mike Halloran* called me the Pete Best of the band" said Mr. Dyke when I saw him at Starbucks one morning. Turns out, he did not record drums on "DepthFiveRateSix", but I imagine he could have.

This is a perfect example of the proverbial San Diego Sound. Math Rock, as it is wont to be called; Quick tempos, turn-on-a-dime changes, intricate dueling guitars, and absurd song titles. "Featurist", "Weepo" and "Ouisghian Zodahs in Panoply", for instance. I tracked this one down again after selling it in "The Great Purge", and I've listened to it more in recent times than I did when "Showdowned" was being used as background music for KGCR station checks. Good stuff that still stands up.






*Mike Halloran is a local radio "legend", though his legendary status can be equivocated, at times, to his ridiculous name dropping. Still, an ardent supporter of local music, and that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment