Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tori Amos: From the Choirgirl Hotel

The Other Famous Amos Edition

After the sinister lullabies found on Boys for Pele, Tori found The Rock again, and I'm pleased. While I'm less familiar with these songs than I would be if doing a review proper, I can say that I gladly listened through the album twice and a half today on my drive to and from OB. I even turned up the volume a couple times. That's right.

This just goes to show that I have an ear for percussion, and the lack of it makes me crazy. Tori, I think, benefits greatly from having multiple instruments on her songs because her style is so distinct. Because of that, anytime she goes minimalist, the songs run together like warm goo.

I was surprised to hear the musical similarities in the tunes "She's Your Cocaine" and Live's "They Stood up For Love", especially in the intro's. As in, I wouldn't be surprised if the two were written concurrently as a songwriting challenge with each other. Well, probably not, but that would be cool, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment