Monday, September 20, 2010

Tori Amos: Under the Pink

Best and Worst Edition

From "God":
God sometimes you just don't come through
Do you need a woman to look after you?

I don't listen to that song. I'm not saying that to assert myself as better than the song, nor those who do listen. I just don't enjoy it. Musically, it's intense and interesting. Lyrically, it's ignorant and insipid. Lowest Common Denominator stuff. Too bad. Under the Pink also has my favorite Tori Amos song on it, "Cornflake Girl". This song also has a social-justice theme, and is much more thoughtful, I think.

One may argue that I don't enjoy "God" because it attacks my ego, while I can enjoy "Cornflake Girl" because it's about women betraying women, and my penis is left alone. I'm willing to talk that through. I agree that the subjugation of women by men and religion is a problem worth exploring a solution for. But are the differences between the two songs that significant?

"You bet your life ...".

No comments:

Post a Comment