Thursday, September 2, 2010

Alice in Chains: Dirt

I Should Have Said "Stuff" Edition

Speaking of Godsmack, (and why would I want to otherwise?) they got their name from a song title on this album. Oh, this album. Dirt is pretty jarring, like a swift rabbit-punch to the temples. I would say it’s Alice in Chains’ best CD as a whole, but it’s depressing for its heavy reliance upon nihilism and self-loathing. In other words, perfect for a late teen who hasn’t figured anything out yet. Yeah, I was that guy. I can appreciate the musicality now, if not the sentimentality.

The veteran tribute “Rooster” is on this CD, and I am always reminded of my own stupidity when I hear it. I was at Magic Mountain with my girlfriend at the time, and we were shopping for a bit as we prepared to leave. I grabbed a stuffed Foghorn Leghorn from a shelf and started singing “Yeaaah, they come to snuff the rooooster!” as loud as I could. She was thoroughly embarrassed, and I was totally amused with myself. The trend of that kind of behavior continues to this day…

No comments:

Post a Comment