Monday, September 13, 2010

Alta Voz: City of Echo

Twin Advantages Edition

I met the brothers Wardle through my involvement in Rookie Card. Jared worked with Adam at the Garden of Speedin', a parts-locater magazine that catered to vintage cars. He and his twin Darrin formed a band called Day and Age together. When Day and Age broke up...that is, their drummer was out...the Wardles formed Alta Voz. As a placeholder, I was asked to drum with them. How could I refuse?

I only played one show at a grungy little dive-bar called Scolari's Office. It was fun, but I was clearly the sore-thumb; The fat white kid between the two handsome latino chaps and the tall, skinny white kid. I have to say, when they found a permanent drummer, I was a little jealous, (AWKWARD) but I knew my term was limited, and it's all good.

Years later, I ran in to Jared at another dive bar down the street from the former Scolari's. I hit him up for a copy of the album Alta Voz recorded, and listening to it now, I remember the fun it was to play with them. Darrin has since married and moved away, and Jared has pursued other musical ventures, soon to be reviewed. (Soon?!) As for myself, I doubt I'll ever be in a band as cool as Alta Voz, but it may be for the best. I'll never feel comfortable in skinny jeans.

Check it


Not Pictured: Me

No comments:

Post a Comment