Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Tori Amos: Boys for Pele

Hyperventilation Edition

"Mary had a Little Lamb" ala Tori Amos circa Boys for Pele, where "lamb" is a euphemism:
(breathe in) ...mMaaaayaaaRaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiyaaaaahhh.....
Hayaaad a little...(pregnant pause) Laiyaaahhhhhh.....yesssss....


Shandree took me to see Tori in San Diego when she was touring for this album. Like the record, her sound was stripped down. Way down. Just her and a piano on stage for two hours. I might have enjoyed seeing her regular drummer Matt Chamberlain, but alas... The seat was comfy. I was able to relax (read:nap), and I'm pretty sure I was the only guy in the joint. NOT an exaggeration, friends. Honestly, apart from maybe two songs, Boys for Pele has no hook, and sounds an awful lot like meandering whimsy. If you enjoy meandering whimsy, look no further. At eighteen tracks, it's seven too long.

Am I giving you the impression that I don't like Tori Amos? That's not true. There are times when I really enjoy a song or two, but for the most part, her work is a trifle melodramatic, and not different enough, song to song, to hold my interest for extended periods. Which is inconsistent, I know, for a guy who really, REALLY likes Dream Theater.

Maybe I should have saved these albums until "T", like the iPod does.

"Day-yes-perado" (I'm not making this up, am I?)

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Kraxpelax. Just...wow.

    I'll leave this comment here. It suits the post, n'est-ce pas? Kriminy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not following the comments well so far and although the song is good I like it better from the Eagles.
    First comment about numbers and such, what they may be correlated with causes me to wonder what to think of John 6:69 when Peter said to Jesus "Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” I was wondering about what the alternate interpretation of that might be.

    ReplyDelete