Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fiona Apple: When the Pawn...

Former Guinness World Record Album Title Edition

When the pawn hits the conflicts he thinks like a king
What he knows throws the blows when he goes to the fight
And he'll win the whole thing 'fore he enters the ring
There's no body to batter when your mind is your might
So when you go solo, you hold your own hand
And remember that depth is the greatest of heights
And if you know where you stand, then you know where to land
And if you fall it won't matter, cuz you'll know that you're right


I say "former" because some other jackasses saw an easy way into Guinness and trumped it. Very clever.

I got this for free through a cd-of-the-month club, remembering that I liked the first album. It's very much like the first album, though quite a bit more mature musically. I enjoy it, but I don't love it. I think I will enjoy it more when the songs come up on shuffle when I get an iPod again.

Oh, Fiona, where art though? I know she released a third album, but I never got it. She also sang a "duet" with Johnny Cash, "Bridge Over Troubled Water". It seems as if she did it after he was gone, though. It's jarring, and frankly not very enjoyable. Is Ms. Apple past her expiration date? I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment