Monday, October 4, 2010

Natacha Atlas: Gedida

Full Belly Dancing Edition

Last summer saw Shan and I go to three weddings: Two of them Arabic. If you've never been to an Arabic Wedding, beg borrow or steal an invitation. Good food, good drink, great music and dancing. Or, you could buy this album for a taste of the music, at least. High energy, rhythmic and sexy, you will tap your foot, even if she only sings one song in English. (And one in French!)

This album surprised me. I wasn't sure I wanted to listen to it on the ride to work, especially after the rock-show high I was on from the night before. However, I'm glad I did. While the songs here may not be purely traditional, they are likely more accessible to new listeners, with great instrumentation and rich production values. As a kid, I grew up hating the bootleg live tapes my dad used to play on long car rides of his favorite Arabic singers. Perhaps if he'd been blasting Natacha Atlas, I would've come around a lot sooner. Maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment