Thursday, October 14, 2010

Beastie Boys: Check Your Head

G-Cubed Edition

This next one is...the first post...on my new album.

In my senior year of High School, I met a couple guys that would end up being the best friends I made in those days; Jason and Tracy. It was weird, too, because I didn't really get to know Tracy until the night of prom, when he and Joanne went with Marie and me. We hit it off pretty well, and since we both knew Jason, ended up hanging out quite a bit that summer while we tried to figure out who we were going to be.

We bonded on a bunch of stuff, not the least of which was musical taste, and this record was a staple. Whenever I hear it, especially "So Watcha Want", I remember those days, and how close the three of us were then. Since we were three white dudes, and the Beastie's were three white dudes, I think we drew as many parallels as we could muster. So of course, our group had to have a name, too.

One day, while we were trying to think of that name (DORKS would have worked...), we were lamenting about how lame we were at attracting girls. Tracy called us, sarcastically, the "Go Get 'em Gang". And it stuck. We referred to ourselves as G-Cubed (like, G to the third power) the rest of the summer.

Man...

So, recently, the guys in Geezer and the band members of local mainstays Ilya got together to do some shows as License to Ilya, a Beastie Boys tribute. While I wasn't too fond of how this show went, I loved doing this song. Check out Zach Goode(MZA), Adam Gimbel(The King Old-Rock) and me(Nas D).

1 comment:

  1. Ah, memories. As you know I was also in high school when CYH dropped, and 18 years later it still resonates with me exactly the same way. It was the early 90s, right before popular music entered a crappy period for me (and never really emerged). While the world was occupied with hair metal and then grunge, the B-Boys were quietly reinventing themselves as bona fide musicians. As someone who disliked Paul's Boutique overall, I couldn't have been more pleased with the new sound. Even now, I drive my wife nuts by randomly reciting the "Professor Booty" sample: "Professor, what's another word for pirate treasure?"

    BTW, the Geezer tributes kick ASS.

    ReplyDelete