Monday, October 18, 2010

The Beatles: Revolver

"And it was still hot" Edition

Last year, I saw Where the Wild Things Are at the Mira Mesa I-Max theater, and some kids in front of us in line were talking about music. The first kid, a tall, heavyset dude, lisped that The Beatles were over-rated.

Now, I'm gonna let him have his opinion, but...it's wrong.

Still, I was a late adopter, too, so there's still hope for the youngster. I can say without reservation, however, that Revolver is one of the best pop records ever made.

I have a theory as to why this kid, and I for a time, didn't understand the genius that is The Beatles: The bands I grew up on projected strength, and wore their rock-energy like a badge for all to see. The Beatles were much more subtle and nuanced. While their songs certainly have energy and are still vital today, it's because they knew exactly where to leave space and not throw it all out there. And they knew how to "throw it all out there". (See their live stuff and the BBC sessions, coming soon!) They just chose not to do that all the time, and that's what made them brilliant.

It's the reason why The Beatles are legends and Oasis will simply strive to emulate that legendary status, without ever attaining it. Restraint. Control. Nuance.

Also, for all the haters who say that Ringo Starr isn't a great drummer, I submit his work on "Taxman". The solid meter, punch and drive the drums bring to that song are incomparable. He may have not been a "flashy" drummer, but he's easily one of the best.

1 comment:

  1. Tomorrow Never Knows. That is all.

    I lied. Anyone who knocks Ringo as a drummer has not heard "The End" from Abbey Road.

    ReplyDelete