Monday, October 11, 2010

Bad Mood Zeus: Bad Mood Zeus

B-ginning Edition


Hiya, Spinners! Welcome to the first entry in "B"! Brought to you by "A"...


This power trio from San Diego changed their name to the name of their label after this first CD came out. A change of bass players instigated a change of monikers, as I found out later after my friend Brenda told me about this great band she listened to called Superunloader. A little investigation revealed I'd already heard them. For manic, jam-funk 70's rock, look no further.

Seriously, when I first heard this CD way back in '93, I was astounded by how authentically retro it feels. These three guys seemed to channel all the fury of Hendrix, Woodstock era Santana, and a little of The Who for good measure. My favorite song on the record is the understated "The Maze". This one seems to favor groove over manic thrash-funk, and it's better for it. The CD is long out of print, but you can purchase all the songs through their website.

This album reminds me of the days I spent at Grossmont college right out of High School. I was trying to figure out who I wanted to be, and music played a big part in the process, for better or worse. On one side was Bad Mood Zeus, Rush, and all the prog-rock and Pearl Jam in my collection. On the other side, the local indie emo kids that I was befriending introduced me to Fugazi, Slint, Drive Like Jehu, et al. It feels good to be an adult, able to enjoy all of it without needing it to define my life. It's more fun that way. Youth is a mess, though fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment