Friday, October 22, 2010

The Beatles: Live at the BBC

Bring Beatles Candy Edition

At nearly 70 tracks over two disks, this is my second favorite - and last - Beatles entry for Disk-a-Day, at least as far as my current collection goes. This is early stuff, the rock they played when they first started...the covers of rock classics and some of their own songs; Poppy, catchy, and danceable all the way. Interspersed are vignettes of the band chatting up the BBC host and making jokes like kids do. Really charming, actually.

Like many of the CDs I'm "reviewing", I've never listened all the way through this one until now. I missed out. These guys were amazing live...warm, clear, and solid. It's no wonder they "made it". I was taken back to a youth I never had, but reminded that there was a time when John, Paul, George and Ringo had the world in their hands and didn't realize it, still treating it with joy and playfulness. I heard these songs and felt like all the crap going on today will pass, or change, or whatever; Now is just a moment in history, in stereo. It might do well to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment