Monday, August 9, 2010

Aerosmith: Toys in the Attic

Not GI Joes Edition

Toys in the Attic was the first music I heard from Aerosmith, recommended to me by Ray Klaar, my guru of music through High School. Subsisting on a steady diet of Iron Maiden and Stryper at the time of my first listen, this stuff was a revelation. Groove and bluesy-rock mixed with some pretty heavy licks. Nothing a fan of Led Zepplin wasn't already familiar with, but I wasn't yet a fan of the Zep, so this did me good.

Listening to the whole album again after many years was interesting. There is much more to early Aerosmith than "Walk This Way" and "Sweet Emotion". Both were, of course, stand out tracks, but "Uncle Salty" and "No More No More" hold up still, yet go largely under appreciated.

I was ruined on Aerosmith for a little while. I had a girlfriend who loved them, though mainly post-"Pump" stuff. It was a strange relationship at a strange time in my life (what time or relationship in one's late teens isn't strange?) and as Aerosmith seemed to be the soundtrack to it all, I lost what was once a good feeling towards them. Time heals, I guess. I'm a different person, but I can still dig a good tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment