Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Aerosmith: Aerosmith

Boston Bad-Ass Edition

Yes, I said bad-ass. Aerosmith's first, humbly unnamed, is a kick in the teeth. The version I have is righteously remastered, and perhaps watered down because of it. This disk would benefit from some vinyl crackle, at least to represent the rough and tumble that the five boys represented at the time. The liner notes on this CD are wonderful - Reviews and fan-appreciation for the band from the time of this album's debut, properly lauding the lads as "true to themselves; There's no imitation country or superhip posturing or frosted hair and beautymarks..." (Dann DeWitt)

So yeah, while described as "hard", it's nothing to today's "hard", or even the 80's "hard". I imagine I'd like to hear Aerosmith playing a club while I drank a strong beer and chatted with friends on a Friday night. More jammy than AC/DC, but with equal measure of cheeky tough.

I thoroughly enjoy watching Steven Tyler and Joe Perry talk about their Rock'n'Roll in the film, The Decline of Western Civilization Part 2. (See the opening to this film below - Aerosmith at 4 mins. in) They're practically laughing at the metal heads that followed them, and I don't blame them. I'd likely let my boy listen to Aerosmith today, but would as soon break all speakers in the house than let Insane Clown Posse cross the air. I wonder what he'll accept at my age? The mind reels...

No comments:

Post a Comment