Saturday, August 7, 2010

AC/DC: '74 Jailbreak

Albums Contain/Definite Cuts Edition

This is an EP with four tracks that were on on the Australian-Only release of AC/DC's first album recorded in 1974, and "Jailbreak", another "lost track". Bon Scott sings here, and the bluesy chunck-rock that defined AC/DC is in full effect. There is a live quality to these recordings that make you understand why AC/DC became the rock icons they are today.

Where does AC/DC stand in my collection? Well, I certainly like the quick, mindless rock these guys define. They are like blue-blooded chaps you'd like to have a beer with on a Friday night after a long week working at the docks. But I don't work at the docks. I'm a nerd, and while AC/DC is fun, it's like novelty fun for me; A lark that I might turn up if hanging with old friends on a "guys night out". So, I'd love to see them live, but I'd never pay more than $15 do do so.

On the other hand, there's this from 2000. From the article:
(Michael Stipe of R.E.M.) was taking part in the Sarasota Film Festival, and attended the State Room party to present actor Stephen Dorff with the festival's Young Lion Award. At the party, a photographer tried to get Mr. Stipe to pose with another rocker, AC/DC lead singer Brian Johnson, who lives in Sarasota, but the R.E.M. singer refused. That didn't seem to bother Mr. Johnson much, though. The singer, who immortalized "Back in Black," told one partygoer: "I got to tell you, mate, I don't like him, and I don't like his (expletive deleted) music."

No comments:

Post a Comment