Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The 5.6.7.8's: Bomb the Twist

In Japanese, "Nani?" Means "What?" Edition

I bought this 6-song EP at Amoeba in San Francisco while on a small tour with Rookie Card, my former band. I'd just seen Kill Bill on DVD, and the special features had a couple songs by this Japanese girl-trio performed live-ish. You know their song, "Woo Hoo". (Yes, you do.) I especially enjoy the title track , when singer Ronnie "Yoshiko" Fujiyama scream-chokes her lyrics in terrible "Engrish" over their signature retro surf-punk sound. Awesome.

My wife Shandree and I saw them at the Casbah, where the well-dressed ladies seemed to roadie themselves and put on a tremendous show, full of energy and fun. It was fairly embarrassing to hear white boys calling out "Nihon-Jin!!!" (Japanese Person!!!) between every song. Whatever. "Three Cool Chicks", indeed. Shan and I looked for them when we went to Japan, yelling out "Nihon-Jin" on every corner. No luck.

Also embarrassing: A middle aged woman stood at the front of the stage, begging the ladies to sign something for her while they set up their gear. Finally, reluctantly, the drummer was the last to sign(setting up drums is always a pain. I should know) and then, immediately, the lady LEFT THE SHOW. NTF?!

No comments:

Post a Comment