Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Better Than Ezra: Friction, Baby

True Ninja Track Edition

As I said in my last post, I love this album. Of the three BTE albums I own, this is by far the best and my favorite. It was introduced to me by Jay, who picked up the cassette at a roadside convenience store on a whim while taking a cross-country trip with some friends. A happy accident.

The production on this CD is great. I love the songs "R3wind", "Speeding Up to Slow Down" and "Long Lost". Just good pop. They'd just installed a new drummer, and I had the chance to meet him when I saw BTE at the late great 'Canes when they were touring for this album. I got in for free, because when I went down to buy the tix at the El Cajon Tower Records (RIP), the teller told me he had some that he wasn't going to use, and hooked me up, no charge. I don't remember the guy's name, but I was a frequent customer in those days. It was a good show, and one of my favorites at the time. Which is why I went back and bought Deluxe. Which was a mistake.

This CD also has a true hidden track, located in the negative space before the first track, "King of New Orleans". It's kinda jokey, and not really worth the effort to hold down the back button to find it if you've heard it once, but I like that it's there. Later pressings of the CD, I understand, just tacked the track onto the end of the disc. I guess the original placement was eventually too obtuse for even BTE's tastes.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I loved this album. I feel like it had better hooks, and production that did justice to all the great guitar tones they had. I think when I found this Dryve was playing fewer and fewer shows, so this scratched a little bit of the same itch that Dryve did (still liked them better than BTE, but this was still a very worthy album).

    ReplyDelete